Saturday, May 18, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Wonky Paint Chip Mini

This is my first time to be apart of the Blogger's Quilt Festival. It seems I never finish one on time to participate. Today is the day :)


We had a fun challenge at our MQG called the Wonky Paint Chip Challenge. We each got to pick out a paint chip and had to use 2 of 3 colors on the chip. I picked one that was golden to pale yellow and knew immediately that I wanted to pair it with gray. I have been loving that color combo lately.  I got to thinking about the "WONKY" part of the challenge and looked all over pinterest for inspiration. I fell in love with this pin. It went together really fast and was a lot of fun to sew together. There wasn't a lot of hard thinking. Sometimes it's so nice to not think and just sew :) I named it yellow lighting for obvious reasons, but when my mom saw it she saw gray lighting. Well! It's interesting to me that people can look at the exact same piece and see something completely different. When you look at it what do you see, the yellow or the gray lighting? For the first time ever, I tried my hand at hand quilting and it was a lot fun. I don't know if I could do a huge project yet, but something this small was perfect. The mini finished up at 15" X 20".  



Be sure to stop by and check out all the cool quilts linked up at the Blogger's Quilt Festival and pick your favorite or link up your own. There's still time and a ton of great prizes too! I hope your having a wonderful week!!

~January~

11 comments:

  1. This is lovely January. It's definitely yellow to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool challenge idea! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fab! First I saw the yellow stand stand out, now I'm seeing the grey...really interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. I saw the yellow first. I like the stitching, the different yellows and that they are small strip triangles. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG i LOOOOOVE this!!! is there any way you could do a quick tutorial on exactly how you did your wonky squares? i love anything that doesn't have precise cuts to it! (i'm not very good at precise). thank you! this is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love this quilt, it's so visually dynamic! I definitely see yellow lightning! Good luck in the festival ! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see yellow lightning. Perhaps if the design was reversed so the the yellow was where the gray now is, those who see yellow would still see yellow just because it's such a strong colour while gray tends to recede. The hand quilting is just delightful too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun little quilt! I saw the yellow first. Love your hand quilting too. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete