Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Craftsy BOM FEB



So the first block for February is the Balkan Puzzle Block. If you haven't checked Craftsy out yet, you will love it. They have all sorts of classes for really great prices and the classes look high def. So the great news is that this block of the month is free and is done by the lovely Amy Gibson over at Stitchery Dickory Dock
This month is all about Half Square Triangles and she shows two different methods. This method is called the Magic Half Square Triangle. It was so much fun! I wrote down the direction and some how doubled the pattern. It was so funny, I kept thinking this is going to be a huge block haha.



You need 2 5.5" squares to make four half square triangles. For this block you need two contrasting fabrics. I used a blue with white background and a yellow with white background. You need a total of 16 half square triangles. So that's two of each color. Sew right sides together with a scant 1/4" all the way around the block.  They also have coarse materials and direction you can print out over at Craftsy.   


Then after you set the seams, take it over to your cutting surface and  with your ruler cut diagonally from one corner to the other.



Then without moving your fabric, turn your ruler and cut diagonally on the other corners. 
Set your seams and press. I pressed all the seams to the dark, but I found that when I was turning them to make the balkan puzzle the seams were both going the same direction. So I had to re-press in order to make the seams lock. No biggie. Don't forget to clip your dog ear and be careful they all have bias edges. 



So here is the layout for the Balkan Puzzle. 




So I sewed the block in strips from left to right and then sewed the top two strips together and then the bottom two strips together. Then I joined the two halves together. Make sure each strip's seams are all going one direction and the next strip's seams are going the opposite direction. ETC. 
I loved this block!! It was a lot of fun to put together. 



Now Amy was right you have to be careful when putting this block together. It's not called the Balkan puzzle for no reason. I sewed the wrong side. I opened it up and thought that doesn't look right HAHA. I really like this block as well, but I decided to rip it out and do it right. 

That looks better :)



I'm linking up with Fabric Tuesday over at Quilt Story  
 Pop over and have a look around. There are some great projects posted. You might meet some new friends as well.
hope your guys are having a wonderful Valentine's day! 



1 comment:

  1. I love the colors of your block! :)

    I have downloaded the blocks but have not started on them yet. :(

    ReplyDelete